Write Smart
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Useful link
Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 9:32 pm by Orchidee

» Tip Sheet: An Admissions Dean Offers Advice on Writing a College Essay
Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 8:32 pm by Orchidee

» Holding College Chiefs to Their Words
Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton EmptyWed May 06, 2009 9:56 pm by Orchidee

» Need help with college essay ?!!
Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 6:07 am by Guest

» Do you believe in Destiny ?
Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 8:28 am by nhatquang2403

» Power of Language - Nicolette Ash
Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 9:21 pm by tuongvan92

» A dozen principles of good writing - EXCLUSIVELY !
Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton EmptySat Nov 01, 2008 6:54 pm by Orchidee

» [Proposal] Proofreading box
Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 9:37 pm by Orchidee

» Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton
Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 10:43 pm by Orchidee

Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton

2 posters

Go down

Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton Empty Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton

Post by Orchidee Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:54 pm

Surrounded by thousands of stars, complete silence, and spectacular mountains, I stood atop New Hampshire's Presidential Range awestruck by nature's beauty. Immediately, I realized that I must dedicate my life to understanding the causes of the universe's beauty. In addition, the hike taught me several valuable lessons that will allow me to increase my understanding through scientific research.

Although the first few miles of the hike up Mt. Madison did not offer fantastic views, the vistas became spectacular once I climbed above tree line. Immediately, I sensed that understanding the natural world parallels climbing a mountain. To reach my goal of total comprehension of natural phenomena, I realized that I must begin with knowledge that may be uninteresting by itself. However, this knowledge will form the foundation of an accurate view of the universe. Much like every step while hiking leads the hiker nearer the mountain peak, all knowledge leads the scientist nearer total understanding.

Above tree line, the barrenness and silence of the hike taught me that individuals must have their own direction. All hikers know that they must carry complete maps to reach their destinations; they do not allow others to hold their maps for them. Similarly, surrounded only by mountaintops, sky, and silence, I recognized the need to remain individually focused on my life's goal of understanding the physical universe.

At the summit, the view of the surrounding mountain range is spectacular. The panorama offers a view of hills and smaller mountains. Some people during their lives climb many small hills. However, to have the most accurate view of the world, I must be dedicated to climbing the biggest mountains I can find. Too often people simply hike across a flat valley without ascending because they content themselves with the scenery. The mountain showed me that I cannot content myself with the scenery. When night fell upon the summit, I stared at the slowly appearing stars until they completely filled the night sky. Despite the windy conditions and below freezing temperatures, I could not tear myself away from the awe-inspiring beauty of the cosmos. Similarly, despite the frustration and difficulties inherent in scientific study, I cannot retreat from my goal of universal understanding.

When observing Saturn's rising, the Milky Way Cloud, and the Perseid meteor shower, I simultaneously felt a great sense of insignificance and purpose. Obviously, earthly concerns are insignificant to the rest of the universe. However, I experienced the overriding need to understand the origins and causes of these phenomena. The hike also strengthened my resolve to climb the mountain of knowledge while still taking time to gaze at the wondrous scenery. Only then can the beauty of the universe and the study of science be purposefully united. Attaining this union is my lifelong goal.
Orchidee
Orchidee

http://writesmart.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton Empty Re: Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton

Post by jackactforever4 Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:12 pm

This is the second time I have read this piece of art. The author is truly an inspiring activist that could shake the midst of your soul with is enthusiasm. I have to say I dream that one day I will lay my very first step on Princeton. This application essay reminds me how I have to improve myself more over time.
Such an inspiring personal statement! Thanks Lan for posting it on Writesmart

jackactforever4

Back to top Go down

Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton Empty Re: Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton

Post by Orchidee Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:43 pm

You are welcome Smile

How's life treated you so far ? Hope everything is going well with ya ^_____^ . Tell me when you are admitted to Princeton. I make you pay for drinks, lol, just kidding

Good luck
Orchidee
Orchidee

http://writesmart.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down