Write Smart
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Useful link
Do we need to use "I strongly think that,... " ; "In my opinions... " EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 9:32 pm by Orchidee

» Tip Sheet: An Admissions Dean Offers Advice on Writing a College Essay
Do we need to use "I strongly think that,... " ; "In my opinions... " EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 8:32 pm by Orchidee

» Holding College Chiefs to Their Words
Do we need to use "I strongly think that,... " ; "In my opinions... " EmptyWed May 06, 2009 9:56 pm by Orchidee

» Need help with college essay ?!!
Do we need to use "I strongly think that,... " ; "In my opinions... " EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 6:07 am by Guest

» Do you believe in Destiny ?
Do we need to use "I strongly think that,... " ; "In my opinions... " EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 8:28 am by nhatquang2403

» Power of Language - Nicolette Ash
Do we need to use "I strongly think that,... " ; "In my opinions... " EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 9:21 pm by tuongvan92

» A dozen principles of good writing - EXCLUSIVELY !
Do we need to use "I strongly think that,... " ; "In my opinions... " EmptySat Nov 01, 2008 6:54 pm by Orchidee

» [Proposal] Proofreading box
Do we need to use "I strongly think that,... " ; "In my opinions... " EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 9:37 pm by Orchidee

» Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton
Do we need to use "I strongly think that,... " ; "In my opinions... " EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 10:43 pm by Orchidee

Do we need to use "I strongly think that,... " ; "In my opinions... "

+2
gothmania
Orchidee
6 posters

Go down

Do we need to use "I strongly think that,... " ; "In my opinions... " Empty Do we need to use "I strongly think that,... " ; "In my opinions... "

Post by Orchidee Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:18 pm

After skimming 9 essays of week 1, I realised that many people used "I strongly think that ..." ; "In my opinions, ..." , ... and stuffs like that in their essays.

When I was in a writing class, my teacher said that those words were useless. He explained : "the essays are your own, what you write is what comes from you, not everyone else. So do not use those words unless you want readers have bad first impression"

Huhm, what do you think ?
Orchidee
Orchidee

http://writesmart.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Do we need to use "I strongly think that,... " ; "In my opinions... " Empty Re: Do we need to use "I strongly think that,... " ; "In my opinions... "

Post by gothmania Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:14 pm

In fact, in academic writing, the use of pronoun "I" is not acceptable as a rule. Despite this, almost writers forget the stuff and use it very commonly. My friend advised me to use "the writer" instead.

gothmania

http://360.yahoo.com/dragon_in_nightmare

Back to top Go down

Do we need to use "I strongly think that,... " ; "In my opinions... " Empty Re: Do we need to use "I strongly think that,... " ; "In my opinions... "

Post by Orchidee Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:51 am

yup, I think those phares are redundant. as I said before, the essay is considered as your own work, it comes from you, you, yourself. so why uses "I strongly think that ..."
Orchidee
Orchidee

http://writesmart.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tAnk Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:38 pm

I agree with you.
Yet I have a doubt, what if we need to stress the idea that comes after that phrase ?
tAnk
tAnk

http://360.yahoo.com/lordier_third13en

Back to top Go down

Post by HQT Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:20 pm

Lan wrote:yup, I think those phares are redundant. as I said before, the essay is considered as your own work, it comes from you, you, yourself. so why uses "I strongly think that ..."
To emphasize Smile)

I think this depends very much on what we're writing. We can't just say yes or no generaly like this :-j.
HQT
HQT

http://360.yahoo.com/hqtrang2798

Back to top Go down

Post by tAnk Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:30 am

It's getting more complicated so far.

My experiences is that there're people who still using those phrases in thier essays.

I'm talking about the type of essays where you need to give objective viewpoints as well as your personal opinions.

There should be more examples where the use of those phrases is crucial.

Thus, I think HQT's opinion is right, it depends on what we're writing.
tAnk
tAnk

http://360.yahoo.com/lordier_third13en

Back to top Go down

Post by ChubbyFace Sun May 18, 2008 8:18 am

Indeed, most of English teachers as well as professors suggest that you shouldnt use 1st or 2nd point of view in every kind of writing except for narrative because those point of view will make your essays subjective and not convincing as you expect.

ChubbyFace

Back to top Go down

Post by lifedesigner Tue May 27, 2008 4:49 am

I would use those phrases if I was giving a speech. Or else, I rarely use or don't use them at all :D.
Oh oh oh, I've just realized something really funny, a proof literally. I think we have learnt it in philosophy, about the twirl of life. It's like this:

1- When you first learnt English and wrote your first essay, you don't know what the heck are "in my opinion" or"I strongly think that", etc.
2- Then you learnt and used them.
3- After that, you found out they were lame and didn't use it in our essays.
So after all, we still don't use them, but the reason is different Wink (you are leveled up!)

Those philosophers are really pure genius!
lifedesigner
lifedesigner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down