Write Smart
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Useful link
1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture. EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 9:32 pm by Orchidee

» Tip Sheet: An Admissions Dean Offers Advice on Writing a College Essay
1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture. EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 8:32 pm by Orchidee

» Holding College Chiefs to Their Words
1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture. EmptyWed May 06, 2009 9:56 pm by Orchidee

» Need help with college essay ?!!
1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture. EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 6:07 am by Guest

» Do you believe in Destiny ?
1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture. EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 8:28 am by nhatquang2403

» Power of Language - Nicolette Ash
1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture. EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 9:21 pm by tuongvan92

» A dozen principles of good writing - EXCLUSIVELY !
1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture. EmptySat Nov 01, 2008 6:54 pm by Orchidee

» [Proposal] Proofreading box
1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture. EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 9:37 pm by Orchidee

» Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton
1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture. EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 10:43 pm by Orchidee

1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture.

4 posters

Go down

1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture. Empty 1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture.

Post by Orchidee Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:01 am

WRITE SMART CLUB

Topic : "Nowadays, a lot of teenagers prefer Korean
culture than Vietnamese culture. What do you think about that ?"
Time & Date : 8pm – 9’30 pm, Sunday, June 01, 2008
Debaters : Pro : Trang Hoàng - Con : fallingangelvy
Host : Hồng Ngọc
Audience : Lan Tran, Hoang Minh

Trang’ s key points :
- Korean culture brings more entertainment ( music, movies, … )
- It encourages Vietnamese entertainment industry to develop
- It encourages teenagers to learn about new culture

Vy’s key points :
- Teens change their cloths, hair color to be exactly like their favorite Korean entertainers.
- Korean culture has an impact that many young Vietnamese don’t even know about Vietnamese culture

Rebuttal

- Vy said it’s a bad thing that many young Vietnamese teenagers change their hair color just to be exactly like their idols
- Trang stated that not only Korean entertainers but also American, British, … entertainers have impact on Vietnamese teenagers to make those young Vietnamese change themselves

- Vy stated it is because many Korean entertainers have plastic surgery that their Vietnamese young fan follow their actions.. Here is the conversation between them
Vy : Don’t you think that plastic surgery is a bad thing ?
Trang : It’s a bad thing
Vy : So you agree that it’s a bad thing that many young Vietnamese teenagers have plastic surgery ?
Trang : yes, I accept it
*Note : It was clever of Vy to use trick questions here

- Vy asked how Korean culture encourages Vietnamese entertainment industry to develop. She stated that their grown-up industry could hurt our weak on
--> Trang said it helps us by create a competitive environment. Vietnamese
industry has to make themselves be better in order to have “the audience”

Questions from the audience

- Lan asked Vy how could Vy said it was NAUGHTY when someone keep changing clothes and hair color ( Vy's first point ) because Lan felt like it was people's hobbies. If they can afford it, that's okay
--> Vy stated that it's naughty because poor teenager, for example, cheated or asked money from their parents to afford it
--> Ngọc commented that some rich kid are naughty too because they didn't know the value of money. they just spend, spend and spend
--> So Vy said : "So rich kids are naughty, according to Ngọc, poor kids are naughty, so my point is acceptable"
--> Lan stated that "Not all the rich kids or poor kids are naughty, you should use "some of the kids" only

- Lan asked Trang for examples but Trang couldn't give some

Comments from host and audience

- In the two’s first speech, they shouldn't use “I think”, “In my opinion” … because the audience know that what they are talking is their ideas.

- “First, Second, Third” … isn’t necessary. It sounds like elementary school. They should use “moreover”,“furthermore” instead

- In Trang’s second point, she said “Korean culture encourages Vietnamese culture to develop because they have to make themselves better”. Though she exactly meant that the “they”
(because they have to make themselves) is Vietnamese culture, some people could misunderstand her point. In this case, “they” might have been thought as “Vietnamese culture” or “Korean culture”

- In some point in rebuttal,when Trang or Vy agree with the other’s idea, they said “Everything has good and bad side” , which is absolutely the wrong thing to do in a debate. You have
to stay in your side and support it, do not say that you agree with the opponent’s idea nor pick both side by saying “everything has their two side”

CONCLUSION : We did quite okay for the first time :-) There weren't many people but it was lots of fun.

Last edited by Lan on Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Orchidee
Orchidee

http://writesmart.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture. Empty Re: 1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture.

Post by ChubbyFace Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:58 am

@ Lan: You mistake me for this:
- In the two’s first speech,
they should use “I think”, “In my opinion” … because the audience know that
what they are talking is their ideas.
I said that they shouldn't use "I think" or "In my oppinion" to open the speech because it sounds subjective and elementary school. And as they speak, the audience can know that is their opinion so they don't need to use those phrases.
That is the only thing I need to correct. We did a good job yesterday and had a lot of fun Smile.

ChubbyFace

Back to top Go down

1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture. Empty Re: 1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture.

Post by Orchidee Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:30 pm

sozzzy, my bad, that's what i meant but ... somehow I typed it wrong. ooh, i also added the questions from the audience too Cool
Orchidee
Orchidee

Back to top Go down

Post by lifedesigner Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:31 pm

Geez! That was so interesting! Arg! You did have really good points, Tough-Head Smile)
Uhm, really appealing to a talkative mind Smile)
lifedesigner
lifedesigner

Back to top Go down

Post by Orchidee Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:49 pm

thank you. lol, I love to attack people, especially when that's you :D Duke, please join next time so I can do a knock-out Smile lol

I hope more people join next time ;-D
Orchidee
Orchidee

Back to top Go down

Post by lifedesigner Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:13 pm

Darn! Hahaha... I will try my best, you know. I've never done it before. But you must tell me about the topic ahead of time. It's already WED and I have no idea what it is gonna be about. I would love to fight you literally Wink
lifedesigner
lifedesigner

Back to top Go down

Post by Orchidee Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:11 am

I didn't planned to be the debater this week. However, since this is a special time, I set myself go against you Twisted Evil Yo, I'm ready. ( Actually 2 teams this week : 2 people for each time )

And don't worry, I've just asked Ngọc about the topic this week. I'll inform as soon as possible.
Orchidee
Orchidee

Back to top Go down

1st Debate : Nowadays, a lot of teengager prefer Korean culture than Vietnamese culture. Empty Contradiction can still benefit you!

Post by lifedesigner Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:30 am

Ya, I'm not ready Laughing
I still have some words for the first debate.
As Tough-Head said, there is no stand in between. Of course, everything has its double sides. Everyone knows that. So if you want to gain more vote/follower, you have to take side.

[Now, I contradict myself]

BUT there is a higher level that grant you a good leader. That is: you consider both sides of the conversation/problem/etc. and from there, you present the third way/solution/etc.
Yes, it's hard to do so. That's why there is not much people who are good leaders.

[the audiences (like in this case, Tough-Head) benefit the most Wink ]

Last edited by lifedesigner on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:53 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Just like in Marxism, contradiction develops our humanity.)
lifedesigner
lifedesigner

Back to top Go down

Post by Orchidee Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:45 pm

There's no need a 3rd party in a debate :-j This is no discussion. You are a bit off-topic young man :-j The important things are how well you defend yourself, how cruel you attack your opponent and how persuavive you are to the audience.

3rd-party is needed in discussion but we haven't planned for discussion yet ;-D Many discussions are held by other speaking groups and I want to differentiate ourself by doing debating, not discussion :D

p/s : You should use Tough-Head aka Pretty Lan because poeple don't know who is "tough-head" you are talking about =)) lol, jk
Orchidee
Orchidee

Back to top Go down

Post by lifedesigner Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:39 pm

What I meant is that considering both sides of a problem/situation is not necessarily wrong, old hag Cool a.k.a. Tough-Head!

Discussion is important. Why don't we divide the time in half for both debate and discussion?
lifedesigner
lifedesigner

Back to top Go down

Post by Orchidee Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:22 pm

Well, questions from audience is kindda of discussion. To be honest, last time, we had discussion, but so off-topic :D lol. hope that many members join this week
Orchidee
Orchidee

Back to top Go down

Post by Vietnamese Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:37 pm

For a long time I didn't visit ur web. Sorry for that ^^ I really like ur web .
If u don't see my re , plz don't worry . I maybe don't type , but I will always allow u closely ^^
Vietnamese
Vietnamese

http://www.vatlysupham.com.

Back to top Go down

Post by Orchidee Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:03 pm

okay, so Vietnamese, pls tell me you are in the debate this week ;-D Give me your Yahoo pls
Orchidee
Orchidee

Back to top Go down

Post by ChubbyFace Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:48 am

@Duke: Don't take it so serious about Debate. It is just an factor to contribute to good leadership but it doesn't mean all. We'll talk more about leadership, later :d.

ChubbyFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Orchidee Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:44 am

he's just being tough-head Wink
Orchidee
Orchidee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down